Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring must bring out the "busyness" is us!

Hello, it's been a couple of weeks - I'm not really sure why I haven't taken time to sit down.  Dave and I were talking a couple of days ago about how our life used to be so routine and so uneventful and that lately, even on the days we don't have Dayton, we've constantly got something going on!
Saturday mornings used to be my sacred "HGTV/Foodnetwork" time and I haven't even been home the last three Saturdays to think about it.  Two weeks ago, I went to Marysville to meet my new nephew in my "WA" family.  Little Dodge Robert is SO cute and he's been blessed with a wonderful mommy and daddy!
Last Saturday, I went to LaConner with Dave's sisters & mom and nephew's wife for a girl's day out - and yesterday morning, I got up, balanced my checkbook, ran to B'ham to get groceries and got back home about fifteen minutes before Dayton came to spend the afternoon and evening. 
I can say it's officially spring now, as I had my first allergy attack late yesterday.  Thank goodness Dave was home from work (it was quarterly inventory day) and Emily was here to help him out with Dayton because I was down and out in the bedroom with my cold flax bag!  My allergy attacks aren't the normal stuffy nose watery eye thing - - it does something that makes it feel like I've got an S.O.S. pad stuck underneath my eyelid.  I can't really open or close my eye for relief - - the only thing that helps is a flax bag I keep in the freezer (I guess the cold reduces whatever is swollen) and a dose of Benedryl, which, of course, knocks me out.
What else has been happening? 
We finally decided on curtains and curtain hanging equipment - we went to the lumber yard and bought large dowels and stained them. We saved about $60.00 by doing that and now, after several months, we have curtains in the living room again!
Next step is to decide what we're going to do about pictures on the walls and Dave has a new computer desk/wall storage thing to build that will go across the opposite end of the living room from the unit he built last summer - - we're just waiting for a weather report with a string of nice days in order to complete that!
I planted some sweet peas to grow up the trellis on the south side of the house.....it's a trellis Dave had built a few years ago that ended up under the house - - we found it last summer and I had him put it up (he'd nearly forgotten he had it).  It's amazing with all this rain we've had how many weeds and dandelions have taken hold in the flower beds.  I knew they were there, but until I really got in, I didn't realize how many there were!
I've been looking at magazines and online to get some ideas on what groups of plants appeal to me to plant in my pots this summer and in the big "feeder trough" style flower box that Dave built last spring.  I can't wait to put my new potting bench (yes, you already know - Dave built it) to use!
So, now the big news, I had weighed myself around March 1st and was really discouraged.  I don't like to measure portions, I don't like to count calories but I knew I had to so something different.  I hemmed and hawed on how I wanted to go about doing something, and finally decided, ON Ash Wednesday, that I'd give up grain for lent.  (once again, if you're a followers of this blog, you're aware of this).  So, my 2nd "weigh in" on April 1st and just over three weeks into this, I have lost 9 lbs!  I was so excited!  It's really given me incentive to continue on after lent is over.  I feel better, I know I'm eating better, and for those wondering, YES, I plant to eat cake at Shane and Megan's wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment