Saturday, March 12, 2011

Giving up grain......

I want to lose weight.  For my blood pressure - for my knees - so that shopping for clothes won't be such an ordeal - so I can wear my favorite dress to Shane and Megan's wedding.
I don't want to journal my food - I get bored with counting calories and measuring everything.  So, for lent,  I have decided to give up grains - foods made from wheat, corn, rice, oatmeal, even quinoa........  I know, it sounds a little extreme, but just a few days into this, I can honestly say I feel much better, less sluggish, and so far, haven't really had any "comfort food carb" cravings.  I haven't had any heartburn, and I haven't had any bloated feelings..........it seems to be turning into a good thing for me.
I can't say I'm going "Paleo" because I don't have enough info about that to really say that's what I'm doing, but I have friends who have been diligent with the Paleo diet and have nothing but great things to say about it.
I was a little nervous, because I don't want this to be a big production or make things difficult for those around me thinking they have to cater to my food choices.  For instance, last night, Nicole and Dayton came over so Nicole could do some online homework and it was decided it'd be a perfect night to have pizza delivered.  One of the pizzas was a veggie pizza (no meat - Friday lent) so I just pulled the toppings off, ate them, and didn't eat the crust.  Not even the edge!
The book which has been recommended to me by Jeff and Danniel, friends from work, is by Robb Wolf - "The Paleo Solution". They tell me it has a lot of excellent information, but basically, I'm eating lean meat, seafood, eggs, nuts, fruit, & vegetables.  Because I haven't read the book yet, I'm not sure where dairy fits into this, but I take calcuim supplements (Membrell Bone Health - recommended by the nutritional educator from work) as I realize milk alone really doesn't do anything for my bone loss - - and I WON'T take Bonvia due to the fact there have been so many class action lawsuits against the company because it ate people's jawbones away......just doesn't seem like a risk worth taking.  I would honestly rather go hungry than to eat yogurt (which is mostly sugar anyway), and most of the cheese I eat is associated with a carb, so if there are no carbs, I'll be cutting back on cheese anyway.
Dave and I ate a 1 lb package of roasted carrots (all cut to the same size, lightly tossed in olive oil with a touch of sea salt, and half an hour in a really hot oven - thank you very much Ina Garten!) with our crock pot roast the other night.  And my new favorite snack is celery with Justin's brand almond butter!
And for those who might be wondering - until they're gone, I WILL be eating one or two of those delightful chocolates every day that I got from Emily !
I know I feel better already - this is currently a commitment for the lenten season - - however, by the end of lent, I'm curious to find out how well this works for, well, for lack of a better phrase, real life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment