Thursday, February 24, 2011

Seasons

I'm watching the news from Seattle right now, their main stories revolving around the snow that has fallen over most of Western Washington and how it's affecting the metro area - - I'm trying to tell myself I should be thankful that we didn't get any of it and have to deal with  the bad roads and slippery sidewalks that they're contending with, but in all honesty, I'm really really really disappointed we didn't get any snow.  Not just with this storm, but basically, all winter long.  We had a pretty snow on Thanksgiving and that was it.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE living in Whatcom County.  It's a beautiful place to live - if we feel like a day hike in the mountains, it's 45 minutes to an hour to get up to Mt. Baker.  If we want the water, the sound is 10 to 15 minutes away and then we're paddling our kayaks off Gooseberry Point or Semihamoo.  We live in a nice sized town (Ferndale) close to a small city (Bellingham), and Seattle is only an hour and half to two hours away - in the event we feel the need for some "metropolitan enlightenment."
But I have to say, the last couple of years, I've really been 'homesick', so to speak, for real - actual - seasons.  4 of them.  Not the rainy season (which I love) and the not so rainy season of July and August (when I miss the rain) - but an actual spring, summer, autumn, and winter! 
I'm hoping, more than anything, when I go back to Iowa the end of June for Shane and Megan's wedding, I get to experience a good window rattling thunderstorm and maybe even see a tornado skipping across the prairie - of course, away from all people, animals, and buildings!  Okay, maybe that's not a good thing to hope to see, but I still want the thunderstorm.  
However, I HAVE gotten acclimated to this region.  It' a hot day if it's above 70 or 75.  And the flowers here are just gorgeous because it doesn't get so hot that the colors fade and the plants get that tired look.  May be a bit more of a challenge to grow really good tomatoes, but it CAN be done! 
So, don't get me wrong.  I'm certainly not sad that I live here.  In fact, this is the first place I've ever lived where I didn't think there was some place better to be!
But yes, at the end of THIS day (not every day) but today, I really wish we had a little bit of snow.
Then, I'll be ready for spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment