Friday, February 25, 2011

Sick Day

I've been fighting a cold for a week.  It started last weekend and at that time, I slept alot, I babied myself, and Dave spoiled me. I thought I was over it and carried on throughout the work week, pretending that the congestion and sneezing and coughing were just leftovers of what I'd experienced on the weekend, but, this morning, I conceded and admitted defeat.  I called in sick.
So now I'm home.  Alone.  All day.  By myself.  It's been a very long time since this has happened.  I had to drink two or three cups of coffee to get things opened up in order to breathe fairly normally, drank a daytime theraflu, and after all that, laying around was just no longer possible.  I decided to clean out the closet which is directly across the hall from the bathroom, which is why we call it "the bathroom closet".
Let me back up and say that one of my gifts (some who have lived with me or work with me might call it a curse) is that I have an analytic mind which is capable of extreme micro-organization - to the point some think I should perhaps consider a twelve-step program.  
I know not everyone has this issue and one of the things I learned when the kids were in the house was that if I didn't 'let that go', I'd be one nasty cranky mama who was always harping at her teenagers.  Just because I like to have the linen dish towels in one stack and the terry dish towels in another stack and I prefer those two stacks are separate from the older and more worn dish towels which are reserved to dry the pots and pans with until they've worn to the point they're ready for the rag bin, doesn't mean that everyone has to live the same way.  
Anyway, I sorted and and tossed and organized and once the 'bathroom closet' was in order, I decided I'd just go ahead and go through the linen closet at the end of the hall.  From there, it seemed a natural progression to take everything out of the TV unit that Dave built last summer and wipe everything down, then, to the computer desk and well............you get the idea.
I'm home today to take care of myself, but I have to say, I'm feeling better for having taken time to give a bit of attention to our home.  Doing so makes me feel more connected to the space.  When I've organized it and cleaned it and even when I'm decorating with something as simple as flowers from the grocery store, there becomes a purpose for this space and that purpose, in the end, is peace which results in a richer life.
And now that I've created some peace through organization, I've still got a stuffed up head. I believe it's time for another theraflu, an episode of Barefoot Contessa, and I'm sure a nap wouldn't hurt anything either.

No comments:

Post a Comment